[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2016.09 is released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Sep 14 15:44:42 CEST 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 07:49:55AM +0200, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> Am 12.09.2016 um 18:21 schrieb Tom Rini:
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I've released v2016.09 and it's now live on git and FTP and ACD (along
> >with PGP sig file).
> >
> >To repeat some of the highlights from the rc releases:
> >- More DM work (MMC, of-platdata for size constrained instances, etc)
> >- Lots and lots of architecture / SoC / Platform updates: x86, rockchip,
> >   sunxi, TI, NXP/FSL, Tegra, Zynq, uniphier
> >- mkimage cleanups
> >- More test.py updates, vboot now a testcase
> >- Secure boot work on both ARM and PowerPC.
> >- PSCI updates
> >- MAKEALL is gone, buildman is for use by all
> >- We now have xtensa support
> >- DT overlays
> >- More Kconfig migration
> >- Some NFS fixes
> >
> >Note that in some cases you may see a message like:
> >CACHE: Misaligned operation at range [xxxxxxxx,yyyyyyyy]
> >and there's good and bad news here.  What had been a debug print (and so
> >off basically) is now a regular message.  So there's no new problems,
> >just problems that are now visible and we're working on fixing.  Some of
> >these were solved during the cycle but some of them still need some more
> >discussion or just a decision being made (so, that's on me).
>
> I had posted 2 fixes for at91 based boards:
>
> [U-Boot] net, macb: fix misaligned cache operation warning
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/663488/
> [U-Boot] net, cmd: fix misaligned cache operation warning
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/663489/
>
> Is there any issue with them?

I think I was waiting for Andreas and Joe to ack and pick them up.

> >Another thing I'd like to call out, and ask for a little help with too
> >is automated testing.  The framework in test/py/test.py can be used on
> >real hardware and Stephen Warren has been doing a good job having things
> >run on Tegra boards.  You can see his scripts here[1].  I've setup
> >locally some of my boards (some TI, RPi3, A20-OLinuXino-Lime2) and I'm
> >looking at adding more still, so long as I can update U-Boot in a way
> >that does not involve the console.  You can see my scripts here[2] and
> >I'm cleaning things up and pushing them back up to Stephen.  But there's
> >always more to do and test.  Is anyone else out there running this on
> >real hardware, or would like to set this up?  Has anyone out there
> >gotten this hooked up with qemu?
>
> Did you tried tbot[1]? With it you can checkout, apply patches (directly from
> your patchwork ToDo list if you want), compile, install for example U-Boot
> and run tbot testcases on the hardware you have ...
>
> I integrated test/py into tbot and use it for testing some boards
> (powerpc mpc52xx, imx6, at91, am335x based boards), for example
> current mainline on the at91 based board corvus here:
>
> [2] http://xeidos.ddns.net/tests/test_db_auslesen.php#86
>     http://xeidos.ddns.net/tbot/id_86/test-log.html

I keep meaning to try tbot more but I haven't had a "slow" point where I
can go and rearrange my workflow (I've done a lot with Jenkins over the
years and I still have a plugin that people use out there, so it was a
quick thing for me to fire up an instance and a few jobs).

[snip]
> So "my dream" is, that everybody who have a board and want to support
> automated U-Boot testing on it, he can setup a so called virtual lab,
> and give us ssh access for testing, and we setup such a testserver.
> As an example how this could look like, I did for my use such a setup
> on a raspberry pi [3] running buildbot and tbot. I use buildbot only
> for the webinterface and starting tbot.

This is something I very strongly agree with.  I really really want it
to be easy and documented and understandable how to use our tests on
real boards at least manually.  Labs of boards testing master (or
polling my WIP branches or some to be made up branch or whatever) would
be awesome, but equally so if people can post a patch to $whatever and
can say they ran test.py and saw no regressions.

--
Tom