[U-Boot] Chrome OS keyboard not responding on snow

Adam Van Ymeren adam.vany at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 05:00:26 CEST 2016

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Moritz Fischer
<moritz.fischer at ettus.com> wrote:
> Hi Adam
>
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 12:35 PM, Adam Van Ymeren <adam.vany at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to run the latest u-boot on the old samsung exynos5250
>> chromebook (snow_defconfig).  I've managed to get the u-boot console
>> up but it doesn't respond to keyboard input.
>>
>> I managed to hack the startup procedure to call dm_dump_all() which
>> shows the the keyboard-controller of cros_ec was attached I think.
>>
>> Anyone remember much about this board or have any tips on how I could
>> start debugging this?
>
> Not sure if helpful: Try to build with CONFIG_USB_KEYBOARD enabled,
> and change stdin?

I got it!  stdin was set to the wrong thing.

Turns out there is an existing u-boot environment in the flash storage
that had stdin set to "serial,mkbp_keyb" where mkbp_keyb is the device
name that the chromium/ChromeOS guys used in their forked u-boot but
is known as cros_ec_kbd in the master repo.

I had to use an old u-boot from the chromium project to boot up and
modify the environment.

Is there a way to configure u-boot to ignore the environment stored in
flash and just use the default?  I couldn't find an option for that,
and my attempts to modify common/env_flash.c so far haven't been
fruitful.

Thanks for the help!
-Adam