[U-Boot] rk3288: 32KB SPL size restriction

Dr. Philipp Tomsich philipp.tomsich at theobroma-systems.com
Thu Aug 17 08:32:18 UTC 2017

Jagan,

> On 17 Aug 2017, at 08:39, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Jagan,
>

> On 08/10/2017 05:07 PM, Jagan Teki wrote:
>> Hi Simon/Philipp or any,
>>
>> I believe rk3288 has 20KB BootRom and 100KB internal SRAM and current
>> u-boot can archive the maximum size of u-boot-spl-dtb.bin which the
>> boot ROM will read is 32KB, do we have any possibility to increase the
>> SPL size here.
>
> The limitation is decide by the boot rom design, so we are not able
> to change this. Most of Rockchip SoCs have this limitation except RK3399.
>
> Thanks,
> - Kever
>>
>> # ./tools/mkimage -n rk3288 -T rksd -d ./spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin out.img
>> Warning: SPL image is too large (size 0x9000) and will not boot
>> Error: image verification failed
>>
>> I tried to increase the spl_size from spl_infos (on tools/rkcommon.c)
>> but not able to boot.

I should have read this more carefully (I only parsed the 20KB and
jumped to the conclusion that your had the error already when crossing
the 20KB limit—even though 0x8000 bytes where allowed in mkimage)…

The size limits in mkimage are the ROM imposed limits (or in the case of
the RK3399 the size of the SRAM), so those are hard limits.

Best,
Philipp.