[U-Boot] rk3288: 32KB SPL size restriction

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 12:05:35 UTC 2017

Philipp and Kever - Thanks for the response.

Few comment below.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Dr. Philipp Tomsich
<philipp.tomsich at theobroma-systems.com> wrote:
> Jagan,
>
>> On 17 Aug 2017, at 08:39, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jagan,
>>

>> On 08/10/2017 05:07 PM, Jagan Teki wrote:
>>> Hi Simon/Philipp or any,
>>>
>>> I believe rk3288 has 20KB BootRom and 100KB internal SRAM and current
>>> u-boot can archive the maximum size of u-boot-spl-dtb.bin which the
>>> boot ROM will read is 32KB, do we have any possibility to increase the
>>> SPL size here.
>>
>> The limitation is decide by the boot rom design, so we are not able
>> to change this. Most of Rockchip SoCs have this limitation except RK3399.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> - Kever
>>>
>>> # ./tools/mkimage -n rk3288 -T rksd -d ./spl/u-boot-spl-dtb.bin out.img
>>> Warning: SPL image is too large (size 0x9000) and will not boot
>>> Error: image verification failed
>>>
>>> I tried to increase the spl_size from spl_infos (on tools/rkcommon.c)
>>> but not able to boot.
>
> I should have read this more carefully (I only parsed the 20KB and
> jumped to the conclusion that your had the error already when crossing
> the 20KB limit—even though 0x8000 bytes where allowed in mkimage)…

Sorry I really didn't understand the size constraint here, because SPL
can be boot file after ROM handoff. Can't this sit on 100KB of SRAM?

thanks!
--
Jagan Teki
Free Software Engineer | www.openedev.com