[U-Boot] SAMA5D2 series

Yang, Wenyou Wenyou.Yang at Microchip.com
Thu Aug 24 08:19:06 UTC 2017

Hi Andy,

On 2017/8/24 14:52, Andy Pont wrote:
> Hello Wenyou,
>
> We are looking at using one of the SAMA5D2 family in an upcoming design and
> I have a couple of questions...
>
> In a recent U-Boot patch set you mentioned the SAMA5D27 SOM1 SiP module.  Is
> this something that is available yet as I can't find it on the Microchip
> website?
>
> If we choose to use the processor, memory, etc. as discrete devices is the
> boot process still AT91Bootstrap -> U-Boot -> Linux or does it now support
> U-Boot SPL and Falcon boot mode?

The SAMA5D27 SOM1 SiP haven't officially released yet, it is planned to
release next month, so the stuff is available soon at the website.

Yes, it supports U-Boot SPL, and I didn't test Falcom boot mode so far.

> The current mainline implementation of arch/arm/mach-at91/spl.c seems to
> suggest that booting from a QSPI device isn't supported.  Which of the
> supported boot devices will give the fastest boot time?
Booting from a QSPI device is supported.

For the source code, I suggest you visit the following git repository.
https://github.com/linux4sam/at91bootstrap
https://github.com/linux4sam/u-boot-at91
https://github.com/linux4sam/linux-at91

For the fastest booting, frankly,  I have no idea. Maybe QSPI is better.

> Thanks,
>
> Andy.

Best Regards,
Wenyou Yang