[U-Boot] Patman avoiding bounces

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 23:59:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

I recently sent a few patches using patman and ran into two problems.

The first is a set of undeliverable addresses. This isn't a big problem,
more of an annoyance but it also means that anyone replying to my patches
also gets the same set of bounces. Would adding a blacklist feature be a
good idea? Should such a list be stored in-tree? It might also be worth
integrating with git's mailmap to handle those who are still active under a
new address, that's probably something that would be useful in-tree for
other uses.

The other issue is the number of addresses hitting the mailing list limit
requiring moderator approval. I'm not sure what the exact limit is but
presumably it's something in the mailman config. It would be great if
patman had some (configurable) knowledge of this limit an only added Ccs up
to this. I'm less certain of a heuristic for which addresses to drop,
obviously the known inactive ones mentioned above are easy to drop. After
that I'm not sure maybe base it on number of commits to the affected files
(i think get_maintainer.pl already gathers this info).

Thoughts? If i get some time I'll try and make a proof of concept for the
blacklist.

Thanks,
Chris