[U-Boot] Patman avoiding bounces

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 00:17:00 UTC 2017

+Simon, Tom, Wolfgang,

On Sun, Aug 27, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Chris Packham <judge.packham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently sent a few patches using patman and ran into two problems.
>
> The first is a set of undeliverable addresses. This isn't a big problem,
> more of an annoyance but it also means that anyone replying to my patches
> also gets the same set of bounces. Would adding a blacklist feature be a
> good idea? Should such a list be stored in-tree? It might also be worth
> integrating with git's mailmap to handle those who are still active under a
> new address, that's probably something that would be useful in-tree for
> other uses.

I've encountered this for several times. Yes, it's quite annoying.

> The other issue is the number of addresses hitting the mailing list limit
> requiring moderator approval. I'm not sure what the exact limit is but
> presumably it's something in the mailman config. It would be great if
> patman had some (configurable) knowledge of this limit an only added Ccs up
> to this. I'm less certain of a heuristic for which addresses to drop,
> obviously the known inactive ones mentioned above are easy to drop. After
> that I'm not sure maybe base it on number of commits to the affected files
> (i think get_maintainer.pl already gathers this info).

I think the patch cc idea is to make sure everyone that is probably
affected by this patch will get direct email (not from ML) sent to
him/herself. If we cut down the cc list to match the ML limit, that's
probably not a good idea. Maybe we can increase the ML limit? Tom or
Wolfgang could comment on this.

> Thoughts? If i get some time I'll try and make a proof of concept for the
> blacklist.

Regards,
Bin