[U-Boot] ACPI tables for Edison: advice needed

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 04:49:09 UTC 2017

Hi Andy,

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a preliminary working ACPI tables for Intel Edison (to replace
> ugly SFI provided by firmware).
> What I would like to ask is how better from your point of view to proceed.
>
> I have apparently not all devices covered in the tables, though I have
> almost stable code which brings ACPI support to Edison.
>
> I see few options here:
> 0. Do nothing :-)
> 1. Apply ACPI code, but leave no tables applied yet.
> 2. Apply both and amend whenever problem occurs.
> 3. Postpone until kernel will be ready for that (*)
> 4. ...other option...?

I would vote for option 2.

> *) LInux kernel (vanilla) is not ready for this change. It means in
> all above cases there will be neither new config file (like
> edison_acpi_defconfig) nor modification to the existing one (of
> course!). The stuff is highly experimental now.

Does Linux kernel need to do anything to support ACPI on Intel Edison?
My understanding is that ACPI is a standard spec, and as long as our
U-Boot implementation matches the spec, Linux kernel can support it
out of the box.

Regards,
Bin