[U-Boot] db-88f6820-amc board fails to boot with latest u-boot master

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 09:26:45 UTC 2017

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:56 PM, Mario Six <mario.six at gdsys.cc> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 7:36 AM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On 14.02.2017 02:48, Chris Packham wrote:
>>>
>>> I just tried UART booting db-88f6820-amc with the latest u-boot master
>>> and it fails to reach the normal u-boot prompt. I don't know if this
>>> affects the normal SPI booting.
>>>
>>> I've bisected down to commit 94084eea3bd3 ("tools: kwbimage: Fix dest
>>> addr").
>>

>> Thanks for checking and reporting.
>>
>>> Reverting this gets things working again, but I'm guessing it'll break
>>> secure boot. Should the size adjustment be conditional on something?
>>

>> Might be, not sure.
>>
>>> Does db-88f6820-amc_defconfig need something that the other armada
>>> configs have enabled?
>>

>> I don't think so.
>>
>> Mario, could you please take a look at this so that we find a solution
>> for the upcoming release?
>>

> I'll take a look. The quick-fix solution would be to only do the
> address adjustment if secure boot is active.
>
> But the weird thing is that the address should not matter for the
> non-secure boot images, since for them the SPL (which is run from a
> BIN header) directly loads and starts the main U-Boot, hence the
> BootROM's image loading process is completely bypassed, and the
> destination address from the header is never used. Does the
> db-88f6820-amc do anything different in that regard?

No the amc board is pretty standard. Just doesn't have the extra SATA
and PCI-e stuff you get on the bigger GP board.

I notice in that commit series you talk about the .img file. But the
default build target is u-boot-spl.kwb[1]. That's what I've always
loaded onto the armada boards.

--
[1] - http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=arch/arm/mach-mvebu/include/mach/config.h#l46