[U-Boot] Falcon boot breaks on DRA7 because of commit b9c8ccab "env_mmc.c: Allow environment to be used within SPL"

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Tue Jan 24 16:17:46 CET 2017

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 10:26:38AM +0100, Jean-Jacques Hiblot wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I'm using a TI DRA7 platform and the falcon boot from MMC is broken
> with v2017. The reason is that the standard "boot_os" is used to
> tell whether the falcon mode should be used or not, but we can't
> access it. The root cause is that the environment is stored in a
> eMMC which is dev 1 not dev 0 on those platforms.
>
> What is the purpose of commit b9c8ccab. Is it because we want to
> initialize only one MMC device in the SPL to reduce the boot time ?

Please note that b9c8ccaba77b has been in since April 2014, so this is
not some new behavior.  That said, we have CONFIG_SYS_MMC_ENV_DEV set
which is what the commit in question uses to know where the env is.  I
think you need to run a git bisect between v2016.11 (which I assume is
when you last tested this) and v2017.01 to see what commit changed
things.  It's possible something has changed and broken this case
requiring another tweak somewhere or another, thanks!

--
Tom