[U-Boot] U-Boot image with multiple u-Boot dt blobs selected at low level boot

Oliver Westermann owestermann at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 13:54:06 UTC 2017

Hello,

I've got multiple ARM boards with similar but not quite the same
configurations.
For example different IO configurations for peripheral reset lines of
hardware used in the u-boot phase.

Currently I have multiple u-Boot configurations using multiple .dts files
creating multiple u-boot.img and MLO files which are stored on the devices
emmc (one set on every device).
The u-boot than loads the linux kernel and the device specific linux dtb
from a FAT partition on the device and boots (The linux partition has one
kernel and multiple .dtb, so it supports all devices).

The differences between the boards are GPIO related, but also power
configuration & regulator settings.

I would prefer to have a single u-boot.img and MLO file set to load onto
all my devices. When I search the docs for this issue, I find many hints
pointing me to u-boot FIT images, but from my point of view FIT issues
multiple LINUX kernel and dt-blobs, not dt-blobs and configuration on the
u-boot level.

What would be the cleanest solution to load one uboot image, which has
different behavior depending on the device it boots from?

Best regards, Olli