[U-Boot] Does U-boot allow snapshot restoration?

Łukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Wed Jul 12 12:12:09 UTC 2017

On 07/12/2017 01:46 PM, 张释文 wrote:
> On 07/12/2017 04:06 PM, Łukasz Majewski wrote:
>> On 07/12/2017 04:13 AM, shiwen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> This is Shiwen, good morning! :)
>>>
>>> I wan to do fast boot for arm , but I am not familiar with U-boot, as
>>> title says, I'm curious that U-boot for smdk2410 allow snapshot
>>> restoration? If allowed, can you tell me witch function do this work?
>>>
>>> Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.
>>
>> You can look for SPL u-boot, which should allow you rapid loading of
>> Linux.
>
> Could you tell me more about this? Any docs or explanation will be fine,
> thanks.

You can poke for info on the Internet.

For example:
http://www.wiki.xilinx.com/U-Boot+Secondary+Program+Loader
http://xillybus.com/tutorials/uboot-hacking-howto-3

>> However, I'm not sure if smdk2410 supports it out of the box.
>> You mus evaluate it by yourself.
>
> Alright, I try.

The Boot sequence:

PWR on -> Rom BOOT (in SoC ROM) -> SPL (tiny u-boot with enough code to
start console, DDR, etc) -> u-boot (full-blow version with FS, network
support) -> Linux.

You can omit the "u-boot" step with SPL and boot much way faster.

I'm not sure for 100%, but some other Samsung/Hardkernel boards have
some binary blobs instead of SPL and hence they only use "full" u-boot.

>>> Have a nice day!
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>> Shiwen