[U-Boot] [EXT] How to update Espressobin (U-Boot) firmware?

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Tue Jul 18 15:24:06 UTC 2017

Hi Kosta,

On 18/07/17 16:13, Kostya Porotchkin wrote:
> The A37xx SoC does not support boot from SD.

Ah!

> Only boot from eMMC is supported, however your board probably only has soldering pads for the eMMC and not eMMC chip installed.
> If you want to play with the bootloader without jeopardizing your SPI image, you have to use either UART or SATA boot mode.

Does SATA boot work like SD boot, where the boot image starts at sector
1? And it needs to be flagged as a SATA boot image, right?

> For the boot image build you will need to obtain the u-boot, ATF and the image building tools sources.
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/atf-marvell/tree/atf-v1.3-armada-17.06
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/A3700-utils-marvell/tree/A3700_utils-armada-17.06
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/u-boot-marvell/tree/u-boot-2017.03-armada-17.06
>
> The "utils" git contains also the UART download tool.
> It uses a proprietary download protocol and not xmodem one as in KW case.
> The flash image structure on this platform also differs from KW, so please do not try to directly burn a "bin" or "kw" file created by the u-boot build system.
> The ATF git from above already contains the required changes in the Makefile for running the additional steps of the final flash image formatting.
> Additionally, the boot image contains a boot device information in its header, so you cannot move SPI flash image to another boot device.
>
> For the boot loader build instructions please check the following documents:
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/atf-marvell/blob/atf-v1.3-17.04/docs/marvell/build.txt
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/u-boot-marvell/blob/u-boot-2017.03-armada-17.06/doc/mvebu/build.txt
>
> UART boot details:
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/u-boot-marvell/blob/u-boot-2017.03-armada-17.06/doc/mvebu/uart_boot.txt

Thanks a ton for those links and information, that was exactly what I
was looking for!
Do you mind if I (later ;-) write up those steps in a document which we
merge into the repo?
Something like [1], which proved useful in the past just to point people
to - that would save you some typing as well ;-)

Cheers,
Andre.

[1]
http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot.git;a=blob;f=board/sunxi/README.sunxi64;hb=HEAD