[U-Boot] armv5 and OMAP3 Question

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 13:14:57 UTC 2017

The readme file for OMAP indicates that we compile using armv5 to "to
allow more compilers to work"

We have our arch/arm/mach-omap2/omap3/lowlevel_init.S file also noting
some special assembly insturctions becuse we use armv5.  The barriers
defined also indicate we're using CP15 instead of the separate barrier
instructions for armv7 because we're using armv5 instead.

I just wonder in this day and age when we're noting a GCC version and
generating warnings based on the GCC warning, do we still need to
compile as armv5 any more?  It seems like "to allow more compilers to
work" would not really apply any more we're trying to push newer
versions of GCC.

 (please don't flame me, I am honestly curious).

adam