[U-Boot] STM32F429 u-boot

bruno schwander bruno.schwander at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 22:19:51 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I am bringing up u-boot on a new custom board with STM32F429 cpu. To start,
I modified the stm32f429 discovery board files by adding the proper gpio,
size and address for the external DRAM, also the dram timings and USART
gpio pins used
I use the "bare" gcc 5.4 toolchain from ARM from
https://developer.arm.com/open-source/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads

I am able to load u-boot in flash with openocd, and I am able to debug with
a jtag adapter and gdb. I am able to step through the initial functions of
u-boot, set breakpoints and examine memory. Until I hit strange things.

I can step into arch_cpu_init () at arch/arm/mach-stm32/stm32f4/soc.c, then
into configure_clocks () at arch/arm/mach-stm32/stm32f4/clock.c . At that
point, the clocks are setup by writing a few registers, and as soon as I
leave this function, instead of returning to arch_cpu_init() I end up in
mAlloc() in dlmalloc.c .

Anybody has some clue about what could be going on ? Any hint or suggestion
on how to figure this out would be welcome.

Cheers,

Bruno