[U-Boot] ethernet: ROM MAC address vs env variable MAC address

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 13 19:49:02 UTC 2017

Dear Prabhakar,

In message <HE1PR04MB12410876E4BA09FC9CD7800C97560 at HE1PR04MB1241.eurprd04.prod.outlook.com> you wrote:

> Why ROM MAC address getting overwritten by environment env MAC address.

Because in U-Boot we give the user the freedom to do what he
needs/wants to do.  Usually the environment value gets initialized
from the value in the ROM, so there is no difference anyway. But if
the user wants a specific setting, he can change it.

> MAC address is something unique and assigned to a particular device. So one should never change its MAC address.

U-Boot follows good old UNIX style here:

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,  because
that would also stop you from doing clever things."       - Doug Gwyn

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If in any problem you find yourself doing an immense amount of  work,
the answer can be obtained by simple inspection.