[U-Boot] U-Boot proper(not SPL) relocate option

Chris Packham judge.packham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 07:29:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 2:59 PM, Kever Yang <kever.yang at rock-chips.com> wrote:
> Hi Lukasz,
>

>     Thanks for your quick comments on this topic.
> On 11/21/2017 06:29 PM, Lukasz Majewski wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kever,
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>>       I try to understand why we need to do the relocate in U-Boot.
>>>   From the document README/crt0.S, I think the relocation feature comes
>>> from some SoC have limited SRAM whose size is enough to load the whole
>>> U-Boot, but not enough to run all the drivers.
>>>
>>>       I don't know how many SoCs/Archs still must use this feature,
>>> but I'm sure all
>>> Rockchip SoCs do not need this feature in both SPL and proper U-Boot,
>>> because rockchip using SPL always running in SRAM to init DDR SDRAM,
>>> and after DRAM available always running U-Boot in DRAM.
>>
>> I always thought that u-boot needs relocation to place itself in the
>> "known" area of SDRAM (which ends in its very end).
>

> I can understand this feature, we always do dram_init_banks() first,
> then we relocate to 'known' area, then will be no risk to access memory.
> I believe there must be some historical reason for some kind of device,
> the relocate feature is a wonderful idea for it.

(I can't really speak for u-boot but in general I think this applies).

In the old days there was no SPL. It was just the same bootloader
image. This image was written (or "burned") to a memory mapped
ROM/flash which could be executed directly in place. Then after the
RAM was initialised the image could be relocated and execution could
continue from the new address.

These days with SoCs that can boot from non-memory-mapped devices the
same tricks can't work which is where the SPL comes in.

The other thing with relocation is that u-boot likes to be at the very
top of RAM. This means we have all this nice contiguous space at the
bottom for the kernel/initrd/whatever .

We can't know at compile time where the top is as some boards may have
DIMMs an others may just have board variants with more or less memory
fitted. Which is why we need to set CONFIG_TEXTBASE to something that
is suitable for the lowest common denominator and relocate once we
know how much RAM we have.