[U-Boot] U-Boot proper(not SPL) relocate option

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Nov 25 22:34:18 UTC 2017

+Tom, Masahiro, Philipp

Hi,

On 22 November 2017 at 03:27, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Kever Yang,
>
> In message <fd0bb500-80c4-f317-cc18-f7aaf1344fd8 at rock-chips.com> you wrote:
>>
>> I can understand this feature, we always do dram_init_banks() first,
>> then we relocate to 'known' area, then will be no risk to access memory.
>> I believe there must be some historical reason for some kind of device,
>> the relocate feature is a wonderful idea for it.
>
> This is actuallyu not so much a feature needed to support some
> specific device (in this case much simpler approahces would be
> possible), but to support a whole set of features.  Unfortunately
> these appear to get forgotten / ignored over time.
>
>>      many other SoCs should be similar.
>> - Without relocate we can save many step, some of our customer really
>>      care much about the boot time duration.
>>      * no need to relocate everything
>>      * no need to copy all the code
>>      * no need init the driver more than once
>
> Please have a look at the README, section "Memory Management".
> The reloaction is not done to any _fixed_ address, but the address
> is actually computed at runtime, depending on a number features
> enabled (at least this is how it used to be - appearently little of
> this is tested on a regular base, so I would not be surprised if
> things are broken today).
>
> The basic idea was to reserve areas of memory at the top of RAM,
> that would not be initialized / modified by U-Boot and Linux, not
> even across a reset / warm boot.
>
> This was used for exaple for:
>
> - pRAM (Protected RAM) which could be used to store all kind of data
>   (for example, using a pramfs [Protected and Persistent RAM
>   Filesystem]) that could be kept across reboots of the OS.
>
> - shared frame buffer / video memory. U-Boot and Linux would be able
>   to initialize the video memory just once (in U-Boot) and then
>   share it, maybe even across reboots.  especially, this would allow
>   for a very early splash screen that gets passed (flicker free) to
>   Linux until some Linux GUI takes over (much more difficult today).
>
> - shared log buffer: U-Boot and Linux used to use the same syslog
>   buffer mechanism, so you could share it between U-Boot and Linux.
>   this allows for example to
>   * read the Linux kernel panic messages after reset in U-Boot; this
>     is very useful when you bring up a new system and Linux crashes
>     before it can display the log buffer on the console
>   * pass U-Boot POST results on to Linux, so the application code
>     can read and process these
>   * process the system log of the previous run (especially after a
>     panic) in Lunux after it rebootet.
>
> etc.
>
> There are a number of such features which require to reserve room at
> the top of RAM, the size of which is calculatedat runtime, often
> depending on user settable environment data.
>
> All this cannot be done without relocation to a (dynmaically
> computed) target address.
>

> Yes, the code could be simpler and faster without that - but then,
> [...]

I would be interested in seeing benchmarks showing the cost of
relocation in terms of boot time. Last time I did this was on Exynos 5
and it was some years ago. The time was pretty small provided the
cache was on for the memory copies associated with relocation itself.
Something like 10-20ms but I don't have the numbers handy.

I think it is useful to be able to allocate memory in board_init_f()
for use by U-Boot for things like the display and the malloc() region.

Options we might consider:

1. Don't relocate the code and data. Thus we could avoid the copy and
relocation cost. This is already supported with the GD_FLG_SKIP_RELOC
used when U-Boot runs as an EFI app

2. Rather than throwing away the old malloc() region, keep it around
so existing allocated blocks work. Then new malloc() region would be
used for future allocations. We could perhaps ignore free() calls in
that region

2a. This would allow us to avoid re-init of driver model in most cases
I think. E.g. we could init serial and timer before relocation and
leave them inited after relocation. We could just init the
'additional' devices not done before relocation.

2b. I suppose we could even extend this to SPL if we wanted to. I
suspect it would just be a pain though, since SPL might use memory
that U-Boot wants.

3. We could turn on the cache earlier. This removes most of the
boot-time penalty. Ideally this should be turned on in SPL and perhaps
redone in U-Boot which has more memory available. If SPL is not used,
we could turn on the cache before relocation.

4. Rather than the reserving memory in board_init_f() we could have it
call malloc() from the expanded region. We could then perhaps then
move this reserve/allocate code in to particular drivers or
subsystems, and drop a good chunk of the init sequence. We would need
to have a larger malloc() region than is currently the case.

There are still some arch-specific bits in board_init_f() which make
these sorts of changes a bit tricky to support generically. IMO it
would be best to move to 'generic relocation' written in C, where all
archs work basically the same way, before attempting any of the above.

Still, I can see some benefits and even some simplifications.

Regards,
Simon