[U-Boot] U-Boot proper(not SPL) relocate option

Andreas Färber afaerber at suse.de
Sun Nov 26 14:04:57 UTC 2017

Hi Kever,

Am 21.11.2017 um 10:33 schrieb Kever Yang:
>     I try to understand why we need to do the relocate in U-Boot.
> From the document README/crt0.S, I think the relocation feature comes
> from some SoC have limited SRAM whose size is enough to load the whole
> U-Boot, but not enough to run all the drivers.
>
>     I don't know how many SoCs/Archs still must use this feature, but
> I'm sure all
> Rockchip SoCs do not need this feature in both SPL and proper U-Boot,
> because rockchip using SPL always running in SRAM to init DDR SDRAM,
> and after DRAM available always running U-Boot in DRAM.

In addition to what others have commented, chain-loading a development
(proper) U-Boot from (proper) U-Boot is a nice feature on aarch64 SoCs.
It relies on U-Boot being able to start executing from low memory, where
it does not conflict with the U-Boot in high memory calling it.

Blocking this for all Rockchip SoCs just for the sake of saving some
memory in SDRAM/storage does not sound appealing.

That does not affect SPL of course.

Regards,
Andreas

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)