[U-Boot] UBI / UBIFS booting from NAND support

Jose Miguel Sanchez Sanabria jsanabria at iseebcn.com
Mon Nov 27 10:45:11 UTC 2017

Hi everyone.

I was testing the booting process from NAND using an UBI/UBIFS image in an
igepv2 board.
However MLO tries to boot first kernel (falcon mode activated) and then
falls back to u-boot (as expected anyway I just wanted to load u-boot from
ubi) trying to load volume 0, but fails.

U-Boot SPL 2017.11-dirty (Nov 24 2017 - 14:29:26)
Trying to boot from NAND
UBI warning: LEB 0 of 1 is missing
UBI warning: Failed to load volume 3
UBI warning: LEB 0 of 1 is missing
UBI warning: Failed to load volume 3
UBI warning: Failed
UBI warning: LEB 0 of 1 is missing
UBI warning: Failed to load volume 0
UBI warning: LEB 0 of 1 is missing
UBI warning: Failed to load volume 0
UBI warning: Failed
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

I can however mount the ubi image but suspicious log appear:

u-boot:> ubifsmount ubi0:ubirootfs
UBIFS assert failed in ubifs_change_lp at 540
UBIFS assert failed in ubifs_release_lprops at 278
UBIFS assert failed in ubifs_change_lp at 540
UBIFS assert failed in ubifs_release_lprops at 278

This has to do with the discussion about ubifs null deference so I suppose
it should not affect much to write operation.

I would finally like to know if the ubi/ubifs support is functional; which
would mean I did not use the ubi tools correctly to create the ubi image.