[U-Boot] Commands to use U-boot in fpga

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Fri Oct 27 11:47:49 UTC 2017

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:45:16 +0530
Ammu Lakshmy <ammulakshmy91 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Architecture is LEON2 and is supported by U-Boot.
> But the steps involved in my work are
>
> *1. Implement LEON2 processor in FPGA(Spartan3E or any other fpga)*

Ok.

> *2. Deploy OS in that processor.*

When you have working soft core of LEON2 - then you would need:

- U-boot ported to it (and this is not the problem - since you say that
  it is supported in U-Boot)

- Linux mainline kernel, which can run on this processor.

U-boot is only a bootloader, which means that its main purpose is to
setup environment (like initialize DRAM, load OS from persistent
storage) for pass execution flow to OS (Linux)

> *3. Implement a router on that processor with OS.*

If you have Linux running on the soft core and enough number of ETH phy
devices you can configure Linux box to work as a router (with proper
iproute[2] rules).

TO sum up:

You need 3 things:

- U-boot running on your soft core
- Linux running on your soft core
- Number of working ETH phys to connect network cables.

> First step is possible as I have the HDL code of LEON2. I can
> implement it on spartan3E.
> Are the next 2 steps possible with U-Boot?
>
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Lukasz Majewski <lukma at denx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Ammu,
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am new to U-Boot and I want to use it for dumping linux to a
> > > sparc processor (leon2) which I have implemented in Spartan 3E
> > > fpga. Is it possible?
> >
> > First you need to check if the architecture on which you run u-boot
> > is supported (sparc?).
> >
> > There are some IP soft cores supported in u-boot:
> > arch/nios2/
> > arch/microblaze/
> >

> > Regarding SPARC:
> >
> > http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-sparc.git;a=summary
> >
> > But if I remember correctly it has been removed recently.
> >
> > However, if you want to re-add it for your platform -> patches are
> > as always welcome :-)
> >

> > > This is to implement a router code in my processor.
> > >

> > Best regards,
> >
> > Lukasz Majewski
> >
> > --
> >
> > DENX Software Engineering GmbH,      Managing Director: Wolfgang
> > Denk HRB 165235 Munich, Office: Kirchenstr.5, D-82194 Groebenzell,
> > Germany Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email:
> > wd at denx.de

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de