[U-Boot] undefined reference to `environment'

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Thu Sep 14 02:42:13 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:29:11AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 17:18:24 -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
>
> > > env/embedded.o is missing in the link. It is added to extra-y by:
> > >
> > > extra-$(CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FLASH) += embedded.o
> > >
> > > I dumped extra-y right after this line, and it does contain embedded.o.
> > > However, it does not get added to the link stage.
> > >
> > > Why is this an extra-$() rather than an obj-$() ?
> >
> > So there's something extra funny going on in the linking.  See
> > https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/806263/ which I have included, but
> > haven't been able to push out.
>
> How did you end up solving this problem? As I said, I don't think
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/806263/ is the correct solution.

It wasn't my favorite patch but I wouldn't have let the original in if
I had noticed the fail-to-build in the first place.  So coming up with a
better rework (and understanding of) why only that combination of
settings was failing without forcing env/embedded.o being linked in is
on the TODO list somewhere.

--
Tom