[U-Boot] chiliSOM: USB bug

sdrb sdrb at onet.eu
Thu Apr 12 09:09:01 UTC 2018

Marcin Niestrój wrote:

> On 12.04.2018 06:37, sdrb wrote:
>> Hi Marcin,
>>
>> Marcin Niestroj wrote:
>>> Hi Witold,

>>> What are your problems exactly with SPL? What version of chiliSOM does
>>> you board have? Mainline u-boot with SPL runs successfully on
>>> chiliboard 1.1 (containing chiliSOM 2.2).
>>
>> I've got ChiliSOM 2.2 version.
>> I don't use chiliboard - I've got only chiliSOM 2.2 integrated in our
>> carrying board.
>>

>> The problem is that SPL is not starting as good as in 2014.07 version.
>> I mean - firmware shows only a few 'C' letters and then it hungs in
>> some infinite loop:
>>
>> CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
>> but when at that moment I press Reset button it starts but
>> unfortunately something is going wrong because it restarts:
>>
>> U-Boot SPL 2018.05-rc1-00251-g2600df4f8e-dirty (Apr 12 2018 - 05:59:00
>> +0200)
>> Trying to boot from MMC1
>> CCCCCCCC
>> U-Boot SPL 2018.05-rc1-00251-g2600df4f8e-dirty (Apr 12 2018 - 05:59:00
>> +0200)
>> Trying to boot from MMC1
>> CCCCCCCC
>> U-Boot SPL 2018.05-rc1-00251-g2600df4f8e-dirty (Apr 12 2018 - 05:59:00
>> +0200)
>> Trying to boot from MMC1
>> CCCCCCCC
>> U-Boot SPL 2018.05-rc1-00251-g2600df4f8e-dirty (Apr 12 2018 - 05:59:00
>> +0200)
>> Trying to boot from MMC1
>>
>> So - to run newest u-boot I need to power-on board and then press reset.
>
> Could you describe what is you BOOT[4:0] configuration? And you want to
> boot from MMC1, right?

If I read the BOOT[4:0] properly it is: 0011.
I want to boot from SD card.

> If you are booting u-boot 2014.07 version, do you still see CCCCC on the
> beginning?

Yes

> I have noticed something else on chiliboard. Device is normally powered
> on with no problems (after plugging in USB cable for example). But after
> it powers off (to RTC only), then I push power button to wakeup device,
> it shows CCCCCCC in infinite loop. To recover from this state I need
> to plug out SD card and plug it in once again. Then device boots
> correctly. Thought this is hardware issue and didn't have enough
> time to look at that.
> I wonder if both issues have the same root cause...

I have also noticed that sometimes the whole system is not starting
properly and still shows 'C' letters. And yes - I also replug SD card or
turn off the power to fix the problem.

>> I dig a litte in source of latest uboot and noticed that the last
>> procedure which is invoked in SPL is jump_to_image_no_args().
>> This proc tries to go to 0x80800000 addr and then reset appears.
>> But before it tries to go into this addr it successfully reads
>> u-boot.img file. So rather the problem is in invocation of TPL than in
>> SPL.
>>
>> I wonder why the u-boot.img file is only 389392 bytes long while in
>> old u-boot it was 1.7 MB.
>>
>> Additionally - I see no device tree source file for chilisom in git
>> repo but the configuration file mention it in CONFIG_DEFAULT_FDT_FILE.
>
> This configuration sets name of dts file to be used with Linux kernel.

Ok, I thought that u-boot uses it for its own purposes.

Regards,
WK