[U-Boot] Appended DTB Android boot image support

Ramon Fried ramon.fried at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:04:46 UTC 2018

Hi all.
I'm currently adding support for Qualcomm Dragonboards  to U-boot as a
primary bootloader without chain-loading using LK which is currently
already supported in mainline U-boot.

Qualcomm Android images are regular android images where the DTB's are
appended to the image. Qualcomm used the "unused" field in the image
header to populate the size of the DTB *.

I'm looking for a more standard version for supporting these kind of images.
Currently, to boot these images, you must provide DTB somewhere in mem
and provide it as argument to bootm for instance.

My goal is to add support that U-boot will parse the image, see that
the DTB is included and use that as the FDT automatically.

I'm looking at the "secondary" fields which are currently not used as
a valid option to point to the DTB and it's size.

Do you know if someone is working on something similar, or do you have
any suggestions for the right approach to this issue ?

Thanks,
Ramon

* - Actually, Qualcomm appends a pack of DTBs with offset table and
chooses the right DTB in runtime.