[U-Boot] Get number of seconds since beginning of epoch

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Aug 3 13:17:37 UTC 2018

Hallo Mark,

In message <d31106515b1b46cbabe0e1ae1311403c at de.bosch.com> you wrote:

> I am wondering whether U-Boot already has the functionality to
> retrieve the number of seconds since beginning of the 1970-01-01
> epoch. I would like to use this value in a Hush script.

There is no such feature in U-Boot (yet).

> Alternative proposals how to fulfill the requirement within U-Boot are welcome, too. ☺

There is no trivial way, as such information is not stored in typich
RTCs; it has to be computed from the information we have.  The
algorithm could be copied from existing code (GNU or BusyBox date
command for example) and added as an (optional, i. e. configurable)
extension to the U-Boot date command.

Note that such an extension would have to store the result in an
environment variable, as we don't have command substituation or
such in U-Boot's shells.

You know where you can ask for help :-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.