[U-Boot] armv5 and OMAP3 Question

Adam Ford aford173 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 10:32:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 10:20 AM Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 10:02:17AM -0500, Adam Ford wrote:

> > > Yes, we can probably at least drop the v5 portion of that logic.  As
> > > noted in the other patch, LLVM and GCC disagree on "armv7" vs "armv7-a"
> > > as being the appropriate name, or at least did in the past.
> >
> > Can you point me to an example of how to tune armv7 for both GCC and
> > LLVM?  I was looking around and I'm not seeing an obvious syntax.
> > I'll do a 2-part patch.  One to remove the armv5, and one to enable
> > the armv7 optimization.
>
> In arch/arm/Makefile:
> arch-$(CONFIG_CPU_V7A)          =$(call cc-option, -march=armv7-a, \
>                                  $(call cc-option, -march=armv7, -march=armv5))
>
> this works in both cases.  And doc/README.clang is correct on how to
> build with LLVM on ARM.

I reset my head to origin/master, but using the following, I am not
able to build omap3_logic with clang on Ubuntu 18.04:

make HOSTCC=clang omap3_logic
make HOSTCC=clang CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- \
    CC="clang -target arm-linux-gnueabi" -j8

arch/arm/lib/memset.S:43:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiage ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr} @ 64 bytes at a time.
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:44:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiage ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:45:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiage ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:46:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiage ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:48:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 ldmfdeq sp!, {r8, pc} @ Now <64 bytes to go.
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:53:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiane ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:54:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiane ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:56:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiane ip!, {r1, r3, r8, lr}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:103:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 stmiane ip!, {r1, r3}
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:105:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strne r1, [ip], #4
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:111:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strbne r1, [ip], #1
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:112:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strbne r1, [ip], #1
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:114:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strbne r1, [ip], #1
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:120:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strblt r1, [ip], #1 @ 1
 ^
arch/arm/lib/memset.S:121:2: error: predicated instructions must be in IT block
 strble r1, [ip], #1 @ 1
 ^
scripts/Makefile.build:314: recipe for target 'arch/arm/lib/memset.o' failed
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/lib/memset.o] Error 1
Makefile:1373: recipe for target 'arch/arm/lib' failed
make: *** [arch/arm/lib] Error 2
aford at aford-IdeaCentre-A730:~/src/u-boot$

If you have any suggestions, I'm open to try them.  I have never used
clang before, but  I would really like to get these armv7a
optimizations in to make SPL smaller.

adam