[U-Boot] U-Boot RPI bmp display isn't visible

Christian Nienhaus c.nienhaus at canway.de
Mon Aug 20 15:23:50 UTC 2018

Hello community,

thank you for providing such a good software. I hope this is the right way to get help.

I successfully run my RPI3b with u-boot and buildroot. I have attached the official 7“ touch display for the rpi. Which also works fine in linux.

When I want to display a bmp on the display in u-boot nothing is displayed and no error is shown.

The following is the output on the serial console and also on the display:

```
U-Boot 2018.07 (Aug 20 2018 - 17:00:45 +0200)

DRAM:  768 MiB
RPI 3 Model B (0xa02082)
MMC:   mmc at 7e202000: 0, sdhci at 7e300000: 1
In:    serial
Out:   vidconsole
Err:   vidconsole
Net:   No ethernet found.
starting USB...
USB0:   Core Release: 2.80a
scanning bus 0 for devices... 3 USB Device(s) found
       scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autobot:  0
U-Boot> lcdputs hello
U-Boot> load mmc 0:7 $kernel_addr_r /splash-l32.bmp
1152054 bytes read in 50 ms (22 MiB/s)
U-Boot> bmp display $kernel_addr_r || echo error
U-Boot>
```

The console output and also lcdputs works on the display, but bmp display does nothing and don’t print error.

This is my u-boot defconfig:

```
CONFIG_ARM=y
CONFIG_ARCH_BCM283X=y
CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE=0x00008000
CONFIG_TARGET_RPI_3_32B=y
CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN=0x2000
CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE="bcm2837-rpi-3-b"
CONFIG_DISTRO_DEFAULTS=y
CONFIG_OF_BOARD_SETUP=y
CONFIG_LOGLEVEL=7
# CONFIG_DISPLAY_CPUINFO is not set
# CONFIG_DISPLAY_BOARDINFO is not set
CONFIG_SYS_PROMPT="U-Boot> "
# CONFIG_CMD_FLASH is not set
CONFIG_CMD_GPIO=y
CONFIG_CMD_MMC=y
CONFIG_CMD_USB=y
CONFIG_CMD_BMP=y
CONFIG_OF_EMBED=y
CONFIG_ENV_FAT_INTERFACE="mmc"
CONFIG_ENV_FAT_DEVICE_AND_PART="0:1"
CONFIG_ENV_VARS_UBOOT_RUNTIME_CONFIG=y
CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_LIMIT=y
CONFIG_BOOTCOUNT_ENV=y
CONFIG_DM_KEYBOARD=y
CONFIG_DM_MMC=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI=y
CONFIG_MMC_SDHCI_BCM2835=y
CONFIG_PHYLIB=y
CONFIG_DM_ETH=y
CONFIG_PINCTRL=y
# CONFIG_PINCTRL_GENERIC is not set
# CONFIG_REQUIRE_SERIAL_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_USB=y
CONFIG_DM_USB=y
CONFIG_USB_DWC2=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=y