[U-Boot] Unaligned memory accesses exception

Fernando AE fernando.ae2017 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 07:44:16 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I'm bringing up U-Boot for an iMX6UL board, and I've encountered
unaligned memory accesses exceptions while I was trying to test the
ETH commands (e.g., 'ping').

After investigation, I found out that the iMX6UL processor traps
unaligned memory accesses by default. As a workaround, I disabled
theses checks, hoping for negligible performance loss.

I'm wondering if it is a bad idea to disable unaligned memory accesses
during the U-Boot execution, regarding performance issues or other
drawbacks at the kernel level.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Best regards,
Fernando A. E.