[U-Boot] UNDEF_SYM

LIU Tim - Contractor Tim.LIU at external.thalesgroup.com
Wed Aug 22 13:57:33 UTC 2018

Hi there,

   Recently I came across U-boot-1.1.4 for an ARM board, and found the link  part  in top make file.

u-boot:                 depend $(SUBDIRS) $(OBJS) $(LIBS) $(LDSCRIPT)
                                UNDEF_SYM=`$(OBJDUMP) -x $(LIBS) |sed  -n -e 's/.*\(__u_boot_cmd_.*\)/-u\1/p'|sort|uniq`;\
                                $(LD) $(LDFLAGS) $$UNDEF_SYM $(OBJS) \
                                                --start-group $(LIBS) --end-group $(PLATFORM_LIBS) \
                                                -Map u-boot.map -o u-boot

I am wondering the "UNDEF_SYM" is not necessary  for ld to make the final object: u-boot. If I take ""UNDEF_SYM" out, I can still link without any warning or error.

  Thanks

Tim Liu

WARNING: This message is intended only for the named recipients. This message may contain information that is confidential. Any dissemination, copying, or use of this message or its contents by anyone other than the named recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not a named recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately, and immediately destroy this message and any copies you may have. WARNING: Email may not be secure unless properly encrypted. It is possible for e-mails to be intercepted or affected by viruses. While we maintain virus checks on all e-mails, we accept no liability for viruses or other material introduced with this message.