[U-Boot] u-boot release and feature set

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Aug 31 16:58:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 04:45:41PM +0000, York Sun wrote:

> On 08/31/2018 09:30 AM, Tom Rini wrote:
> >>>

> >> If you prefer to have signed tags, we can start to do this. Would you
> >> write some guideline on the format, and what information should be
> >> included in the annotated tags, how often do we tag?I guess you will use
> >> a script to extract information, unless you want to read all of them.
> >
> > I will admit that I had to manually find this email link as perhaps my
> > subject at the time was not the best:
> > https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-June/330610.html
> >
> > If information is in the merge commit then it's a lot easier to do
> > anything more on top of that.  Thanks!
> >

> Tom,
>
> I have been trying to avoid merge commit. I do my best to rebase my tree
> before requesting a PR so it would be easier for you to merge.
>
> Using signed tag is not an issue. But you still don't have the important
> changes separated from trivial changes, unless this information is
> included in the message. For example, if I request a pull with 50
> commits, in which 40 commits only deal with default environmental
> variables. The other 10 commits add a new driver which will be shared
> for new platforms. I consider the useful information in this PR is the
> new driver. If this description is in the tag message, it would be
> easier for you to gather and put into a release note. So having a
> predefined format will help you to parse the message. I don't think you
> prefer to read all tags with your eyes.

I appreciate that you want to make this easy on me.  So yes, I expect a
summary of things and not an itemized list.  Looking over the current
tree, 26699998e9f4adb8c0ac8b36a2c3089fa8f05283,
188ebc7b594841b6e05ece4690a01517b4136cdd and
61523dde17d1539b8ea361e25909acfdfc465155 are three good example.
Honestly, if most of my log on say 'git log --merges
v2018.09..v2018.11-rc1' was mostly commits like that I'd be super happy
to spend an hour reading and putting that into a summary email.

--
Tom