[U-Boot] i.MX8M layout, rephrased

Peng Fan peng.fan at nxp.com
Wed Dec 19 13:17:21 UTC 2018

Hi Sergey,

i.MX8/8X/8M are 3 soc families.
i.MX8/8X share similar architecture, so code mostly under imx8 or arch-imx8

i.MX8MQ/MM share similar architecture, so code mostly under imx8m or arch-imx8m.

> The problem here is that files from those directories are referenced in
> multiple places and the "imx8m"/"mx8m" is all over in the header files and
> sources so once we decided on either naming one tree would have to make a
> lot of changes either adding or removing that 'i' before "mx8m".

For newer i.MX SoCs, we will add the "i" to represent i.MX brand.

> Can anybody responsible tell _WHICH_ one is going to make it into the main
> source tree? Would it be better if we decide on it sooner than later (i.e.
> _NOW_) so we won't have to hunt it all over the tree later on?
>
> I assume it should be "mx8m" as it is in master tree following suit for other
> flavors so it is u-boot-imx tree that has to be fixed.

http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot/u-boot-imx.git;a=commit;h=3d145ff59d183850f11ba4157f03d05fc2fcb992
imx tree has switch to imx8m, and the patch will be merged to master tree, so the master will also switch
to imx8m.

> Another issue is that ARCH_IMX8 and ARCH_IMX8M are treated as different
> ARCHITECTURES in u-boot-imx unlike e.g. IMX6 that is treated as one ARCH
> with different flavors (SX/DL/Q/whatever). That makes a lot of unnecessary
> confusion and, IMHO, should be somehow cleaned up to make it consistent.

IMX8 and IMX8M uses totally different architecture.

Regards,
Peng.