[U-Boot] [RFC] Make U-Boot log great again

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 18 21:22:14 UTC 2018

Dear Sam,

In message <CAKaJLVsWKpGeEuS=iZ7QCtZrDfUSA=8GZo3zJDr-VgW-MUCFzA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Right now U-Boot and SPL logs are cluttered with bogus warnings like
> these (on X15 board, but I'm pretty sure it should appear on many
> others):

>     *** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

I donpt want to question the purpose of your patch series in genral,
but:

This is NOT a bogus warning - actually it is something which is not
supposed to happen on any sane system.  If it does on your board
even after first boot and running "env save" at least once, then you
have some problem either in the design or implementation of your
board code.

So this is a very valid warning which means: FIX ME!

>  1. If we have two sources for the environment (e.g. FAT partition on
> SD card and some raw partition on eMMC), we shouldn't print error
> messages if we were unable to load the environment from one source

This needs specification.

If there are several potential sources for the environment, it can
be assumed that the first one is supposed to be the primary one, so
if this does not work, there _should_ be a warning (or even error)
message before U-Boot falls back to alternative storage.

However, in such a case the "using default environment" is
apparently wrong...

>  2. We should probably print some human-readable information that we
> didn't find the environment there, let's skip and look for next source
> (but don't print those warnings/failed messages)

For any attempt to read the environment from some storage device
which fails, a warning SHALL be printed, because this is not
supposed to happen.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
When in doubt, mumble;   when in trouble, delegate;  when in  charge,
ponder.                                             -- James H. Boren