[U-Boot] [RFC] Make U-Boot log great again

Lukasz Majewski lukma at denx.de
Tue Feb 20 09:59:33 UTC 2018

On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 09:00:56 +0100
Maxime Ripard <maxime.ripard at bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 07:47:52PM +0200, Sam Protsenko wrote:
> > On 18 February 2018 at 23:22, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> > > Dear Sam,
> > >
> > > In message
> > > <CAKaJLVsWKpGeEuS=iZ7QCtZrDfUSA=8GZo3zJDr-VgW-MUCFzA at mail.gmail.com>

> > > I donpt want to question the purpose of your patch series in
> > > genral, but:
> > >

> > Oh, it's merely a discussion, not a patch series. I probably
> > shouldn't have been added that RFC tag, it's confusing, sorry.
> >
> > > This is NOT a bogus warning - actually it is something which is
> > > not supposed to happen on any sane system.  If it does on your
> > > board even after first boot and running "env save" at least once,
> > > then you have some problem either in the design or implementation
> > > of your board code.
> > >
> > > So this is a very valid warning which means: FIX ME!
> > >

> > AFAIU, that behavior was changed in the mentioned patch (please see
> > my original message). Let me elaborate a bit. In v2018.01 everything
> > works fine and none errors/warnings are present on my boards (AM57x
> > EVM and X15 board). The problem appears after commit fb69464eae1e
> > ("env: Allow to build multiple environments in Kconfig"). Now U-Boot
> > tries to load the environment from SD card first (uEnv.txt file on
> > FAT partition), and then from eMMC partition. In case when SD card
> > is not inserted, I observe mentioned errors. So I'm not sure how to
> > handle this properly, that's why I created this thread... Let me
> > try and explain my concerns better:
> >  1. On the one hand, it's good to check the environment on both SD
> > card and eMMC (that was done in mentioned patch). This case seems to
> > be legit (at least as far as I understand it), i.e. when SD card is
> > not inserted, it's fine, we just check the env on eMMC
> >  2. But on the other hand, errors shouldn't appear in boot log, if
> > it's legit case, it's confusing the user
>
> That patch intent was to keep the current behaviour as is for all
> users, so the fact that you now have the FAT environment enabled is an
> unwanted side-effect.

The same situation is on Beagle Bone Black. Even though with OE it is
built to use eMMC for storing its envs, by default it also has envs in
FAT support enabled.

For that reason, u-boot on this board looks for envs in FAT first and
similar message is printed.

IMHO, we now have (unintentionally) the situation where implicitly
reading envs from FAT has the highest priority.

> Maxime

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de