[U-Boot] arm: mvebu: ClearFog: booting u-boot from ssd?

Florian Klink flokli at flokli.de
Thu Feb 22 14:52:41 UTC 2018

Hey Stefan,

>>According to the clearfog wiki and uboot-armada38x src tree, there
>>are separate
>>images for sd and sata, with the makefile there calling
>>>$(obj)tools/marvell/doimage -T mmc -D 0x0 -E 0x0 -G
>>>$(obj)tools/marvell/bin_hdr/bin_hdr.bin u-boot.bin u-boot.mmc
>>vs
>>>$(obj)tools/marvell/doimage -T sata -D 0x0 -E 0x0 -G
>>>$(obj)tools/marvell/bin_hdr/bin_hdr.bin u-boot.bin u-boot.sata
>
>Please note that this "should" not be needed when using mainline
>U-Boot on A38x. All necessary tools for image generation are
>included here.
>>[…]
>>
>>Am I missing something completely obvious, or does this mean there
>>need to be
>>different image headers depending on boot medium type BootROM tries to load
>>u-boot from (so it might be desirable to make this configurable)?
>
>You are correct. The image header differs depending on the boot media.
>You need to change the BOOT_FROM line in the .cfg file accordingly, if
>you want to boot from SATA.

Yes, this was more to find out in which ways the sata image differs from the
sdcard image.
Simply editing `board/solidrun/clearfog/kwbimage.cfg` and changing BOOT_FROM
from `sdio` to `sata` got BootROM into accepting the image :-)

>>Are there already any efforts being taken on that? Most likely we'd
>>also need to
>>enable SATA drivers, so u-boot is able to read the kernel, which
>>might be on
>>that disk.
>
>Correct. If the SATA driver is not enabled yet, then this has to be
>done for this board. A38x has an AHCI compatible SATA controller, so
>this is the controller / driver to use. I suggest to look at the
>Marvell
>dev-board "db-88f6820-gp" for this.

I'll have a look on that, thanks! My question also aimed into the direction on
how to make this best configurable via `.config`, instead of editing this file
by hand.
Are there any similar places were we set such things dynamically?

Regards,
Florian