[U-Boot] Support of kernels > 16 MiB on Raspberry Pi

Alexander Kurtz alexander at kurtz.be
Fri Feb 23 14:39:28 UTC 2018

Hi!

Thanks for confirming this! I see four ways how this can be solved:

   1. I can locally adjust the memory locations to make my > 16MiB kernel
      work. The commit mentioned by Jaehoon Chung does this via a custom
      boot.scr, I did this by bumping $scriptaddr and $ramdisk_addr_r
      interactively during bootup and storing the changes to the Micro SD
      card with the "saveenv" command.
   2. I could place a "uEnv.txt on the Micro SD card with those bumped
      values in it. This would make this work-around deployable via
      Puppet, but unfortunately reading "uEnv.txt" on bootup seems to be a
      board-specific feature, and the RPI code currently doesn't seem to
      have this feature. [0]
   3. I could ask Debian to patch the upstream default values for these
      memory locations. After all, a distro bootloader which doesn't boot
      the distro kernel is pretty useless, so I imagine they would
      probably consider this.
   4. U-Boot upstream could adjust the memory locations themselves. I
      would be happy to submit a patch for this, however I want get some
      feedback first: Would you guys accept such a patch, bumping the
      supported kernel size to e.g. 32 MiB or even 64 MiB?

I would prefer 4>3>2>1, what do you think?

Best regards

Alexander Kurtz

[0] https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/master/include/configs/rpi.h#L129