[U-Boot] [U-Boot, v2] env: mmc/fat/ext4: make sure that the MMC sub-system is initialized before using it

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 25 17:38:22 UTC 2018

Dear Lukasz,

In message <20180225161813.10554012 at jawa> you wrote:

> As I've read the discussion between Tom and Wolfgang - I'm wondering if
> this initialization could be done in the driver model?

Indeed DM would be a good place for such lazy initialization as
would be useful here.

> I think that DM is a right place to put such code (ecluding the case
> of env in eMMC readed in SPL).

But even there we cannot add code to initialize all kinds of
potential storage devices to all kinds of supported file systems.
This may work with a single fixed configuration (which probably is
what the OP had in mind), but it does not scale, and it is the wrong
thing to do.

> I've added Simon to CC, so maybe he can give us some insights.

Thanks.  Hopefully Simon has a clever idea...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"If you can, help others. If you can't, at least don't hurt  others."
- the Dalai Lama