[U-Boot] spi: Zapping non-dm drivers, deadline: v2018.09

Jagan Teki jagan at amarulasolutions.com
Tue Feb 27 06:31:18 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 12:59 AM, Marek Vasut <marex at denx.de> wrote:
> On 02/26/2018 06:25 PM, Tom Rini wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 08:28:45PM +0530, Jagan Teki wrote:
>>
>>> Due to adding various new functionalities with SPI and SPI-FLASH
>>> subsystems which are rounding in Mailing list for year+ [1] these long
>>> term supporting spi driver which never seen any update with
>>> driver-model conversion.
>>>
>>> We support to write another stack code for supporting these legacy
>>> stuff, but things become more difficult. So I'm finally giving
>>> deadlines for these drivers to respective driver or board developers
>>> to convert them as soon as possible.
>>>
>>> PS: We all agree some special platforms has some difficulties with
>>> dm-conversion let's discuss.
>>>
>>> No dm conversion yet:
>>> ----------------------------
>>> drivers/spi/cf_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/fsl_espi.c
>>> drivers/spi/lpc32xx_ssp.c
>>> drivers/spi/mpc8xx_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/mpc8xxx_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/mxs_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/sh_qspi.c
>>> drivers/spi/sh_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/soft_spi_legacy.c
>>>

>>> Partially converted:
>>> -------------------------
>>> drivers/spi/atcspi200_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/atmel_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/davinci_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/fsl_dspi.c
>>> drivers/spi/fsl_qspi.c
>>> drivers/spi/kirkwood_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/mxc_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/omap3_spi.c
>>> drivers/spi/ti_qspi.cM
>>>
>>> I would like to see these legacy drivers with full dm-conversion or
>>> zapped in v2018.09 version of U-Boot.
>>>
>>> [1] http://u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/PATCH-v10-00-27-dm-Generic-MTD-Subsystem-with-SPI-NOR-interface-td315694i20.html
>>
>> I've added a bunch of people to the Cc list.  I am in agreement with
>> this idea.  I'd also rather not push the deadline here out further.
>> Please, speak out if this is a problem, or if you'd like to drop some
>> code / platforms.  Thanks all!
>
> My only gripe is that we should've imported the Linux SPI NOR framework
> years ago rather than blocking every and all patch for the current SPI
> NOR framework and trying to develop one from scratch ... the drivers I
> maintain will be converted eventually.

Don't know whether you followed the previous threads(of conversation)?
direct Linux SPI-NOR porting was done in one series and discussed
along with Simon and eventually moved to MTD driver model on top of
SPI-NOR.

Point here is not the issue with blocking of SPI-NOR changes rather
how the entire stack can fit into that, we are trying to resolve that,
Yes the Linux SPI-NOR will use but the non-dm drivers require other
legacy way(like mmc-legacy) to handle. We trying to get rid of that
here.

Jagan.