[U-Boot] [RFC] Make U-Boot log great again

Sam Protsenko semen.protsenko at linaro.org
Wed Jul 18 21:41:17 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 1:14 AM, Sam Protsenko
<semen.protsenko at linaro.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:01:14AM +0800, Bin Meng wrote:

>>> The v2018.07 release still has this "Failed (-5)" message on boot.
>>> When do we plan to fix this?
>>
>> I don't mean for this to sound glib, but I was expecting patches to get
>> posted to change this particular area at least.  I thought it had been
>> talked to the point where it was understood what the next steps should
>> look like?  Thanks/sorry!
>>

> Just to have something specific to discuss, I've sent two RFC patches:
> [1,2]. I suggest we start with messages beautifying first, as this
> seems to be main concern for most people.
>
> Tom, what do you think about [1,2]? Does it have right to exist at
> all, or should we go some other way?

After some discussion, new RFC patch is ready for review: [1].
Personally, I'd also like to prepend error messages with at least two
spaces or some other prefix. But that would take introducing new
pointer in gd structure. Please let me know what you think.

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2018-July/335223.html