[U-Boot] Thoughts on EFI, CONFIG_LOADADDR and kernel_addr_r

Kristian Amlie kristian.amlie at northern.tech
Tue Jun 26 14:10:15 UTC 2018

I have a question about CONFIG_LOADADDR: Given that several
configuration settings have moved to Kconfig files recently, is it
expected that the same thing will happen to CONFIG_LOADADDR?

And following that: Does it mean that we should start retiring other
environment variable names that are named differently but have similar
roles, such as "kernel_addr_r"? It is aliased to CONFIG_LOADADDR for
some boards, but not in general. The only globally available one is
"loadaddr", which mirrors CONFIG_LOADADDR as expected.

I'm asking this in the context of EFI, since "boot_efi_binary", which is
used by "distro_bootcmd" tries to load the kernel into "kernel_addr_r",
which doesn't seem to be in line with what env_defaults.h defines
("loadaddr").

Either name is fine with me, but I'd like to standardize on one, and I
don't know which one. Any preferences on the list?

--
Kristian