[U-Boot] RPi3 Not autobooting from SD-card. {Scanned}

Alexander Graf agraf at suse.de
Mon Mar 5 10:09:56 UTC 2018

On 03/02/2018 08:55 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Göran Lundberg <goran at lundberg.email> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I'm trying to boot from u-boot on a Raspberry Pi 3. But for some reason it
>> isn't autobooting on the SD-card.
>>
>> Is it possible to get more debug output on the screen console? I don't have
>> a serial console at the moment.
>> The output on the screen is:
>>
>> Net:   No ehternet found.
>> starting USB...
>> USB:    Core Release 2.80a
>> scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Devices found
>>         scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
>> Hit any key to stop autoboot:   0
>> U-Boot>
>>
>> Shouldn't it mention mmc somewhere in the boot message?
>>
>> The first command I type on the prompt is always failing, it's not
>> outputting anything. Just a new prompt on the next line. The next commands i
>> type in are working. Which seems strange.
>> I got boot.scr set up right, except graphic settings which are wrong. It is
>> booting the kernel when I type 'run bootcmd'. But only after I type in
>> another command before it.
>> It seems like it's not detecting the SD-card (mmc0) until I have typed
>> anything into the prompt.
>>
>> Do I have to set any other env variable for it to autoboot? I would have
>> printed the output of printenv here, but since I don't have a serial
>> console, retyping everything is very time consuming.
>> printenv seems to have the right settings. It's basically a full console
>> screen of variables. It just doesn't seem to load them until I type in
>> another command before it.
>>
>> boot_targets=mmc0 usb0 pxe dhcp
>> Which seems right to me.
>>
>> I compiled the latest u-boot from github.
>>
>> If you need more info please let me know and I'll post it.
>>
>> Hope that anyone can point me in the right direction here. Would really
>> appreciate it.
> I'm seeing the same issues with 2018.03 rc3.
>
> I'm not sure what the issue is and I've not had time to investigate it
> further yet, but if you type "boot" and hit enter it should boot,
> sometimes you actually have to type it twice. It will boot but I'm not
> sure which bits here have causes this regression.

I do not see this at all on my RPi3. Maybe it's firmware version
dependent? Do you happen to have an image that always fails for you?

Alex

U-Boot 2018.03-rc3-00109-g77bba970e2-dirty (Mar 05 2018 - 11:06:36 +0100)

DRAM:  992 MiB
RPI 3 Model B (0xa02082)
MMC:   mmc at 7e202000: 0, sdhci at 7e300000: 1
environment

Failed (-5)
In:    serial
Out:   vidconsole
Err:   vidconsole
Net:   No ethernet found.
starting USB...
USB0:   Core Release: 2.80a
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found EFI removable media binary efi/boot/bootaa64.efi
libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
Scanning disk mmc at 7e202000.blk...
Card did not respond to voltage select!
Scanning disk sdhci at 7e300000.blk...
Disk sdhci at 7e300000.blk not ready
Found 4 disks
840192 bytes read in 38 ms (21.1 MiB/s)
libfdt fdt_check_header(): FDT_ERR_BADMAGIC
## Starting EFI application at 01000000 ...
Welcome to GRUB!