[U-Boot] RPi3 Not autobooting from SD-card. {Scanned}

Göran Lundberg goran at lundberg.email
Tue Mar 6 13:42:52 UTC 2018

I got it autobooting by adding enable_uart=1 to /boot/config.txt

But it seems like a bug that could be fixed, since it was booting, but
only manually.
Anyone got an idea what might cause this?

But the graphics mode is all wrong. The four raspberrys are purple and
the resolution is extremely low.
In u-boot, the graphics is ok in high resolution, but when booting the
kernel it all changes.
I'm guessing it's got something to do with the device tree not loading
properly.

I finally got a serial console working. Here's the output:

U-Boot 2018.03-rc3-00090-g3990c9d627 (Mar 01 2018 - 15:51:26 +0100)

DRAM:  998 MiB
RPI 3 Model B (0xa02082)
MMC:   mmc at 7e202000: 0, sdhci at 7e300000: 1

Failed (-5)
In:    serial
Out:   vidconsole
Err:   vidconsole
Net:   No ethernet found.
starting USB...
USB0:   Core Release: 2.80a
scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Device(s) found
        scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
Scanning mmc 0:1...
Found U-Boot script /boot.scr
915 bytes read in 4 ms (222.7 KiB/s)
## Executing script at 02000000
switch to partitions #0, OK
mmc0 is current device
4579632 bytes read in 198 ms (22.1 MiB/s)
17794 bytes read in 3 ms (5.7 MiB/s)
Kernel image @ 0x1000000 [ 0x000000 - 0x45e130 ]
## Flattened Device Tree blob at 2effb600
    Booting using the fdt blob at 0x2effb600
    reserving fdt memory region: addr=0 size=1000
    Using Device Tree in place at 2effb600, end 2f002b81

Starting kernel ...

Any idea what is wrong here:

I don't have an env file on the SD-card. So how can it give a CRC error?
I tried to use saveenv at the u-boot prompt but i got an infinite
repeating error.
   fsm 1, hsts 00000001

And this line:

   reserving fdt memory region: addr=0 size=1000

Why is addr=0? And size=1000 seems low?
But on the next line the size seems right.

Here's my boot.scr:

setenv fdtfile bcm2710-rpi-3-b.dtb
mmc dev 0
fatload mmc 0:1 ${kernel_addr_r} kernel7.img
fatload mmc 0:1 ${fdt_addr} ${fdtfile}
setenv bootargs earlyprintk console=tty0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2
rootfstype=ext4 noinitrd rootwait dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 elevator=deadline
bootz ${kernel_addr_r} - ${fdt_addr}

Any help appreciated!

On 2018-03-02 20:55, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Göran Lundberg <goran at lundberg.email> wrote:
>> Hi!
>> I'm trying to boot from u-boot on a Raspberry Pi 3. But for some reason it
>> isn't autobooting on the SD-card.
>>
>> Is it possible to get more debug output on the screen console? I don't have
>> a serial console at the moment.
>> The output on the screen is:
>>
>> Net:   No ehternet found.
>> starting USB...
>> USB:    Core Release 2.80a
>> scanning bus 0 for devices... 4 USB Devices found
>>         scanning usb for storage devices... 0 Storage Device(s) found
>> Hit any key to stop autoboot:   0
>> U-Boot>
>>
>> Shouldn't it mention mmc somewhere in the boot message?
>>
>> The first command I type on the prompt is always failing, it's not
>> outputting anything. Just a new prompt on the next line. The next commands i
>> type in are working. Which seems strange.
>> I got boot.scr set up right, except graphic settings which are wrong. It is
>> booting the kernel when I type 'run bootcmd'. But only after I type in
>> another command before it.
>> It seems like it's not detecting the SD-card (mmc0) until I have typed
>> anything into the prompt.
>>
>> Do I have to set any other env variable for it to autoboot? I would have
>> printed the output of printenv here, but since I don't have a serial
>> console, retyping everything is very time consuming.
>> printenv seems to have the right settings. It's basically a full console
>> screen of variables. It just doesn't seem to load them until I type in
>> another command before it.
>>
>> boot_targets=mmc0 usb0 pxe dhcp
>> Which seems right to me.
>>
>> I compiled the latest u-boot from github.
>>
>> If you need more info please let me know and I'll post it.
>>
>> Hope that anyone can point me in the right direction here. Would really
>> appreciate it.
> I'm seeing the same issues with 2018.03 rc3.
>
> I'm not sure what the issue is and I've not had time to investigate it
> further yet, but if you type "boot" and hit enter it should boot,
> sometimes you actually have to type it twice. It will boot but I'm not
> sure which bits here have causes this regression.
>
> Peter

believed to be clean.