[U-Boot] hardware versions to Kernel

Andy Rea andy at azureussolutions.com
Fri Mar 9 17:34:16 UTC 2018

I have an ARM CPU on a board that has 3 optional sub boards plugged into it,
all of which have 3 hardware rev bits connected to the CPU

Rather than getting the CPU to do mmap type stuff or sys/class/gpio stuff to
read those versions in the kernel, is there a way for u-boot to push that
information ( even it's a U32 or a string ) into the kernel somewhere that
can be parsed?  I tried some code in the board startup to create env vars to
append into the bootargs but they aren't evaluated each boot properly (
boards are optional and revs can change )  so cat /proc/cmdlne stayed the
same value all the time

Is there a better way to do this?

thanks

Andy