[U-Boot] iminfo and zImages

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 18 19:35:56 UTC 2018

Dear Andy,

In message <MM1P123MB126008DA9E9DF7F8F08BB81EB2D30 at MM1P123MB1260.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM> you wrote:

> Is it just not possible for the zImages in RAM to be decoded as per the
> uImages ?

You can decode only the information that is in there.  uImage adds
an extra 64 byte header with informnation I considered useful to
have, like names, timestamp, checksum.

> If I simply use mkimage to convert the image back as a uImage ( essentially
> take off the first 64 bytes ? ) then iminfo will display the kernel info

You confuse things here.  mkimage _adds_ a 64 byte header to create
the uImage file from zImage (or similar).  iminfo displays this
uImage header.  Similar when using FIT images.

> The uImage file is only 64 bytes smaller so hasn't fundamentally been
> uncompressed but also offsetting the iminfo by the 64 bytes makes no odds
> either

Wrong, uImage has 64 bytes header _added_ - and all this has
nothing to do with compression at all.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
panic: kernel trap (ignored)