[U-Boot] Re-introducing support for OLD hardware

Jason Mitchell jason at sparkatm.co.za
Fri May 4 07:27:02 UTC 2018

Hi everyone.

In regards to re-introduction and ongoing maintenance of support for old
SoC, we have determined that this would be a futile effort.
More so when you consider that the team here wanted to run Jquery and all
of the newer frameworks on this old SoC.

We have therefore chosen to support a "current" SoC in our design, using
the AllWinner H3 series, and for this reason I will remain on the mailing
list.

Since this will be a deployment of U-boot in a secure environment with
rather strict rules and regulations, we will probably have to maintain our
own internal fork of U-Boot mainine.
The reason for this is we wish to add our own proprietary functionality to
lock out Linux kernels and images that we do not control. I haven't looked
at this in great detail yet, so if I am trying to reinvent the wheel please
let me know. The idea is simple- we want the board to refuse to boot any
build of Linux we didn't compile ourselves. This is to comply with Payment
Card Industry rules.

This will mean I will have to pick up new releases and ensure
interoperability with whatever is current.

Many Thanks
Jason Mitchell