[U-Boot] [ANN] U-Boot v2018.05 released

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Mon May 7 15:34:20 UTC 2018

Hey all,

It's release day, and here we are doing the release.  It's live on git
and FTP and ACD (along with the PGP sig file).

A few things I want to call out here.  First, a bunch more NXP PowerPC
boards have just been marked as Orphaned due to lack of valid maintainer
email.  So the one year until removal clock has started for them.  This
also marks the point where another batch of boards will hit the 1 year
mark with the _next_ release and I'm inclined to say that what that
means is that _this_ is the final release they will be in.

Second, logo!  We've never officially had a logo and I've made some
half-hearted attempts over the years to find someone to do one.  Thanks
to Alexander Graf and now Heinrich Schuchardt we have one in-progress
and at:
https://www.xypron.de/projects/u-boot/images/Circle-icons-submarine-orange-teal.svg

Please provide any serious feedback on this, preferably in the current
thread titled "Logo for U-Boot".  I'd like to grab the new logo and use
it for both conference things and for a default framebuffer logo
(tools/logo/) for v2018.07-rc1.

Finally, SPDX tags.  Now that the Linux Kernel is using them and has
all of documentation, tooling and user expectations around it, we have
switched over to that style formatting for tags.  All existing files
have been converted and for new files checkpatch has already been
warning about them if they're in the wrong format.  The only outstanding
thing now is to adapt the kernel document about where/how/why to U-Boot,
and since that is not a direct drop-in I didn't include it in this
release but will instead be posting a patch in the next day or two to
update our Licenses/README to reflect both style and include the longer
reasoning, explanation, etc.

Thanks all!

--
Tom