[U-Boot] mtd: spi-nor: new NXP FlexSPI driver location & framework to use ?

Jagan Teki jagannadh.teki at gmail.com
Fri May 11 06:00:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Prabhakar Kushwaha
<prabhakar.kushwaha at nxp.com> wrote:
> Dear Jagan,
>
> NXP is coming up with new FlexSPI controller. It is similar to existing QSPI with enhanced feature-set.
> We have the driver ready as per existing framework i.e. driver/spi.
>
> From recend discussion, we go to know about framework change. Migration of qspi drivers in u-boot-spi/drivers/mtd/spi-nor/
> git://git.denx.de/u-boot-spi.git branch mtd-spinor-working.
>
> We are in dilemma for sending FlexSPI driver upstream.
> Do we follow existing framework i.e. driver/spi   or new proposed framework i.e. u-boot-spi/drivers/mtd/spi-nor/
>
> Also, do we have any timeline of u-boot-spi/drivers/mtd/spi-nor/ to become default.

Idea is to move spi-nor, mtd-spinor-working is paused because of
non-dm drivers accessing. We are clear that we can't create another
legacy layer to access spi-nor for the sake of non-dm driver to work
which eventually ended-up another mess and also no one take care of
non-dm conversion to dm if we give such feasibility. So we exported a
deadline for full SPI/SPI_FLASH DM conversion till v2018.09. Once all
these relevant conversion done, will try to move.

[1] http://git.denx.de/?p=u-boot-spi.git;a=commitdiff;h=c4e68d3aa8178f6aa63a79c4f8f459c0e3ed58e8

Jagan.

--
Jagan Teki