[U-Boot] GPL clarification needed

Burt Janz burt.janz at gmail.com
Mon May 14 20:19:53 UTC 2018

Long time u-boot user... (since the ppc days).

Need a clarification from WD re. GPL2: do Makefiles and header files in
include/config fall within the u-boot GPL?

NO, I do not want to link with any u-boot libraries.  I'm writing code
that uses the jump table to add my "extensions", but would like to have
a platform-specific file in include/configs to call those functions.  To
do that, I need to add my own platform file and make a change to a
Makefile to cause it to be included in the build.

My intention is to follow WD's GPL restrictions to the letter. But,
since I'm not adding any code that links with any of the rest of the
u-boot source, and since I'm using the jump table to add my code as
external tools (as required to stay within WD's requirements), I'd like
to have my own include/config/myboard.h to contain my environment (to
prevent production and manufacturing from "fat fingering" changes after
we flash u-boot into the boards).

So I need just some clarification here: can I make changes to some
Makefiles and add my own code to include/configs /without/ going astray
of the u-boot GPL?

Thanks!

--
Burt Janz
603-943-0330 (cell)
bhjanz at ccsneinc.com or burt.janz at gmail.com
http://bhjanz.ccsneinc.com

"There is no such thing as bad weather - just inappropriate clothing."

(PGP public key block available on request)