[U-Boot] inappropriate PCI configuration on arm64 qemu?

Tuomas Tynkkynen tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi
Thu May 31 10:32:20 UTC 2018

Hi Akashi,

On 05/31/2018 08:05 AM, AKASHI Takahiro wrote:
> Simon,
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 01:18:30PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
>> +Tuomas
>>
>> Hi Akashi,
>>
>> On 28 May 2018 at 01:59, AKASHI Takahiro <takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> wrote:
>>> When I tried to add a SD card to qemu's virt machine (2.10.0) as,
>>>          ------
>>>          -device sdhci-pci \
>>>          -device sd-card,drive=my_sd \
>>>          -drive if=none,id=my_sd,format=raw,file=/path/my/sd.img
>>>          ------
>>> u-boot doesn't configure a SDHCI controller properly and an attached
>>> device is never detected.
>>>
>>> Digging into the code, I found
>>> * reading BAR5 in dm_pciauto_setup_device() shows BAR5 is a 32-bit address,
>>> * pciauto_region_allocate() allocates a 64-bit address (0x80.ABCD.0000)
>>>    to BAR5 as res->bus_lower is 0x80.0000.0000
>>> * Upper 32-bit value is not written back to BAR5 because of !found_mem64
>>>    (BAR5 is the last one and no succeeding BAR anyway.)
>>>
>>> On the other hand,
>>> * Qemu defines two PCI memory regions for MMIO:
>>>          (from qemu's hw/arm/virt.c)
>>>          ------
>>>          [VIRT_PCIE_MMIO] =          { 0x10000000, 0x2eff0000 },
>>>          [VIRT_PCIE_PIO] =           { 0x3eff0000, 0x00010000 },
>>>          [VIRT_PCIE_ECAM] =          { 0x3f000000, 0x01000000 },
>>>          [VIRT_MEM] =                { 0x40000000, RAMLIMIT_BYTES },
>>>          /* Second PCIe window, 512GB wide at the 512GB boundary */
>>>          [VIRT_PCIE_MMIO_HIGH] =   { 0x8000000000ULL, 0x8000000000ULL },
>>>          ------
>>> * A PCI card is configured in decode_regions() so that
>>>    'hose' has only one entry per each type of memory regions.
>>>    This behavior was introduced by Simon's patch:
>>>          ------
>>>          commit 9526d83ac5a
>>>          Author: Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org>
>>>          Date:   Thu Nov 19 20:26:58 2015 -0700
>>>
>>>              dm: pci: Support decoding ranges with duplicate entries
>>>          ------
>>> * As a result, MMIO region (0x1000.0000-0x2eff.0000) is overwritten
>>>    and MMIO_HIGH is the only one available at runtime.
>>>
>>> I believe that this behavior is the root cause of my issue, and
>>> by reverting the patch mentioned above, everything works fine.
>>>
>>> While I understand a concern mentioned in the commit message,
>>> there should be a better way to manage the case.
>>
>> There was a series that changed things in this area. Can you take a look?
>>
>>     PCI: dm: Ignore 64-bit memory regions if CONFIG_SYS_PCI_64BIT not set
>
> Ah, I didn't know that, but it seems to me that it is still insufficient.
> This hack won't work on 32-bit PCI card. I found another patch from Tuomas:

Did you try it? As of today's master all of the patches are applied and at
least the e1000 NIC and the Intel AHCI card that I tested works.
The effect of the commit is to indeed avoid the problem you mentioned:

 >>> * As a result, MMIO region (0x1000.0000-0x2eff.0000) is overwritten
 >>>    and MMIO_HIGH is the only one available at runtime.

Note that even on aarch64, CONFIG_SYS_PCI_64BIT is *not* set by default.
And on ARM we would need to skip that region in U-Boot anyway because
we don't have the means to access physical addresses above the 4GB
boundary with the CPU using U-Boot's identity-mapped page tables.

> ---
>          commit d71975ae6e0
>          Author: Tuomas Tynkkynen <tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi>
>          Date:   Mon May 14 19:38:13 2018 +0300
>
>              PCI: autoconfig: Don't allocate 64-bit addresses to 32-bit only
>              resources
> ---
>
> This approach looks too conservative if 32-bit window is also available,
> in addition to 64-bit space, as in the case of qemu-arm.

Yes, the patch is very minimal - I just wanted to fix the silent truncation
of 64-bit addresses to 32-bit addresses and complain instead, nothing more.

(As the default config of qemu_arm* doesn't have CONFIG_SYS_PCI_64BIT,
the condition won't actually trigger in practice).

> I'd like to propose supporting at least two type of PCI memory regions,
> low mem (normal case) and high mem.
> Attached is my experimental implementation for this although I might have
> made any mistake as I'm not very much familiar with PCI specification.

Yes, in theory it could be useful for some future hardware, but for QEMU
point of view the current situation of totally ignoring the 64-bit mem region
is probably good enough, given that most of the useful hardware that QEMU
can enable is limited to 32-bit addressing anyway.