[U-Boot] Booting i.MX6UL via SPL?

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Thu Nov 8 10:07:23 UTC 2018

Hello Martyn,

Am 07.11.2018 um 21:46 schrieb Martyn Welch:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been trying to boot a i.MX6UL based device I have here using SPL.
> It doesn't seem to want to work for me.
>
> I see there's a number of i.MX6UL ports in U-Boot already, some use a
> custom DCD to configure the board, others seem to provide both options
> (DCD and SPL). Interestingly the Freescale i.MX 6UltraLite Evaluation
> Kit port (via mx6ul_14x14_evk_defconfig) appears to be using the SPL
> mechanism exclusively.
>
> Can someone confirm that the above device boots using this config from
> SD card?
>
> I seem to be able to boot from SD card using a custom DCD (which copies
> U-Boot into RAM), I'm also able to get the SPL to boot via USB (which
> copies the SPL to OCRAM). However when I try to boot the SPL from SD
> card it doesn't boot. If I boot the SPL via USB, insert an SD card and
> reset the device, it seems to boot from the SPL previously loaded from
> USB (as in it's still in the OCRAM) but carries on like it's booted
> from the SD card (looking on the SD card rather than USB for the main
> U-Boot image). The reason I think it's doing this is that if I rebuild
> U-Boot and flash a copy with an updated build time to the SD card, when
> I perform a reset I still see the old build time in the U-Boot banner.
> It looks to me like for some reason it's unable to copy the SPL to
> OCRAM, but carries on thinking it has.
>
> Anyone got any pointers?

Hard to say...

I have running U-Boot wit SPL on a imx6ull based board, booting from
SPI NOR.

If you have a setup with DCD, also SPL should work, but be sure to
setup correct RAM config. But you say, SPL works when loading through
USB

I added for imx6ull:

#undef CONFIG_SPL_STACK
#define CONFIG_SPL_STACK               0x00918000

You use
CONFIG_SYS_EXTRA_OPTIONS="IMX_CONFIG=arch/arm/mach-imx/spl_sd.cfg"

?

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de