[U-Boot] Booting i.MX6UL via SPL?

Martyn Welch martyn.welch at collabora.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 20:46:32 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I've been trying to boot a i.MX6UL based device I have here using SPL.
It doesn't seem to want to work for me.

I see there's a number of i.MX6UL ports in U-Boot already, some use a
custom DCD to configure the board, others seem to provide both options
(DCD and SPL). Interestingly the Freescale i.MX 6UltraLite Evaluation
Kit port (via mx6ul_14x14_evk_defconfig) appears to be using the SPL
mechanism exclusively.

Can someone confirm that the above device boots using this config from
SD card?

I seem to be able to boot from SD card using a custom DCD (which copies
U-Boot into RAM), I'm also able to get the SPL to boot via USB (which
copies the SPL to OCRAM). However when I try to boot the SPL from SD
card it doesn't boot. If I boot the SPL via USB, insert an SD card and
reset the device, it seems to boot from the SPL previously loaded from
USB (as in it's still in the OCRAM) but carries on like it's booted
from the SD card (looking on the SD card rather than USB for the main
U-Boot image). The reason I think it's doing this is that if I rebuild
U-Boot and flash a copy with an updated build time to the SD card, when
I perform a reset I still see the old build time in the U-Boot banner.
It looks to me like for some reason it's unable to copy the SPL to
OCRAM, but carries on thinking it has.

Anyone got any pointers?

Thanks in advance,

Martyn